Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Aya Sofya


Sofya is a word for feminine, divine wisdom. Being within the Aya Sofya, at one time a church, then a mosque, and ultimately (and, in some respects, unfortunately) a museum, has been one of the most empowering experiences of this summer. It is majestic, to say the least. It was as if I had been engulfed in the faith of millions who came before me. The images of the Virgin Mary are striking, and something of the initial wonder and devotion I had for her as a child rose gently to the surface, guiding me once again to the realization of how very small I am, and how lucky I am to have this gift of life. Omid has spoken of a kind of parallel between Christianity and Islam. In Islam, the Qur'an is the word of God, delivered by Muhammad. In Christianity, Jesus is the living word of God, delivered by Mary. As I get older, Mary wields greater and greater influence over me, and I am in wonder at her role in the salvation of humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment